A short sword, also known as a shortsword, is a light, piercing melee weapon. Some examples of Short Swords include but are not limited to:
- Balisword: an exceptionally large balisong knife.
- Bolo: a large cutting tool of Filipino used in their revolutions
- Dahong Palay: a Filipino machete-like sword with capability for thrusting
- Dha: single-edged Burmese sword, perhaps influenced by the Chinese Dao
- Kalis: double-edged "wavy" Filipino sword, similar to the Kris dagger
- Wakizashi (Japanese)
- Butterfly sword (Chinese)
- Scottish Dirk (Scotland)
- Cutlass (European)
- Arming sword
- Gladius (Roman)
- Acinaces (Greek)
Shortswordsactive on eBay
More About Short Swords
The English language terminology used in the classification of swords is imprecise, and has varied widely over time. Historical terms without a universal consensus of definition (such as "broadsword", "long sword", "short-sword", "bastard sword", "great sword", "full-bladed sword", "side-sword", "dual-bladed sword" and "two-handed sword") were used to label weapons of similar appearance but of different historical periods and fabrication technology, often by describing their size or shape relative to other unrelated weapons, without regard to their intended use and fighting style. In modern times, many of these terms have been given specific, often arbitrary meanings that are unrelated to any of their historical meanings.